Tales from the Beyond: Rocking Cradle House

According to several local histories, in 1839 the cradle began to rock vigorously without anyone touching it in the home of Rev. William and Laura Smith on Jackson Street. After the young Methodist minister moved the cradle to the middle of the room, he commanded it to rock by itself in the name of the devil “Geoffrey” (later accounts give the name as “Beezlebub”). Upon demand, it began rocking again. Hundreds of visitors came to see the haunted cradle, and the story passed into local lore.